PGM-40: Renew Delegates Incentives Program

Summary:

This post aims to renew the Delegates Incentives Program from September to December, initially approved from May to August.

Context:

Early May, PGM-33 was submitted to incentivize active delegates in the Paladin DAO, using the following eligibility criterias:

• Governance participation: Minimum 80%
  • Obligation of transparency: Explain voting rationale
  • Delegation Threshold: Minimum 10 000 hPAL delegated from 2 stakeholders
  • Recognised Delegates have to self-report on a monthly basis in this thread in order to get their incentives

Removing an additional requirement mentioned in the initial proposal as it can’t be taken into account for now, which is to be a registered member of the association since it’s not live yet.

Rationale:

This proposal aims to evaluate the Paladin delegates status & spending over the past months, as well as propose to renew this program for an additional 4 months.

The PAL distributed per delegate is defined using this formula, as described in this comment post:
f(x) = sqrt(x^(1.27718))+641.607

As the PAL price was 0,165$ when PGM-33 was approved (up to 16,5k$), the max budget proposed is increased by 2x, adapting to the current market price (0,088$) and retaining a similar compensation value.

Not sure how to adapt the formula above outside of doing 2x the result, maybe @Baptiste & @Albe can help here since they proposed the initial one :pray:

Recap of the past period (May to August):

• Max budget approved: 100 000 PAL
  • Active delegates eligible: 1 (dydymoon.sismo.eth)

Breakdown of actual spendings:

May: 0 PAL (I was an active delegate, but forgot to report so didn’t received PAL)
June: 4 000 PAL
July: 3 909 PAL
August: 3 958 PAL
Total PAL spent: 11 867 PAL

As my participation can be tracked on the forum and snapshot space during May, an additional 4000 PAL will be required for this month. If approved, the overall spending for the first period will be 15 867 / 100 000 PAL.

Overview of this trial period:

PGM-33 mentioned 2 eligible delegates and was aiming for 5 by the end of August.

Considering no other delegates self reported during this period, the amount of eligible delegates in the recap was reduced to 1.

The goal of 5 eligible delegates wasn’t reached, but the following reasons can justify a renewal:

• Active delegates participation is important for the DAO, so it needs to be rewarded
  • @Kene_StableLab reached eligibility in this month & self delegated for September
  • According to Boardroom, 4 addresses currently have 10k+ PAL from 2+ delegators
  • Some community members started contributing & might think about becoming delegates

While 4 addresses meet one of the four eligibility criteria, we can see by checking data on Boardroom & Karma, that 2 of them don’t reach the minimum participation needed.

Analytics of defined metrics

The table below is looking at the voting participation per delegate & amounf of active delegates. PGM-33 also mentioned offboarding inactive delegates from the delegation portal but this wasn’t executed yet, so here is a recap about updates required there.

These data have been found on Karma and Boardroom to evaluate the delegate status:

• Jakelynch, WilliamX, Miaki, Will and Avi from Flipside published their delegate intro a long time ago but are not active anymore, and @Starny has stepped down of his delegate role to focus on Paladin community growth in the team so these 6 can be removed from the delegate portal.
  • @TokenBrice is invited to comment if he’s still interested to be involved in Paladin, and if yes, explain how his participation will be improved to become active delegates. (Will be removed without answers before this proposal is voted)
  • Kheniss recently posted his delegate intro but is not visible on the Portal, might be worth adding it on the portal for some time to see if ppl delegate.
  • There is also an anon address meeting the 10k+ from 2 delegators but not active.
  • StableLab & myself are currently the only two active delegates

Means:

• Up to 200k PAL from September to December
  • 4k PAL for May compensation
  • Reach out to TBD status delegates

Technical implementations:

• Offboard inactive delegates on the portal: Jakelynch, WilliamX, Miaki, Will, Starny & Avi
  • Onboard new delegate intro on the portal: Kheniss

Voting Options:

Yes, renew the budget
No, rework proposal
Abstain

Poll

Should the DAO renew its delegates incentives program ?
  • Yes, renew the budget
  • No, rework proposal
  • Abstain
0 voters
3 Likes

Hello there,

The renewal of the Delegate Incentives Program seems pretty consensual to me, and I’ll vote in favor. I think it’s fair to have the delegate being compensated for their work, especially because the framework requires them to be not only active but also transparent on their delegate activities to be eligible.

Regarding my status as a delegate, I am a bit ashamed of my participation ratio; sorry for that. I’m having difficulty following all the governance I’d like to be involved in.

I’ve set up a monitoring system to be alerted for every new vote, which should ensure I’m not missing any further votes.

3 Likes

I have been away and/or lurking the project for the better part of the past year, and believe that this is an important initiative to renew, given the upcoming tokenomics changes and gauge system launch. Governance participation is work, and good work requires compensation, so I am very much in favor of continuing this initiative.

Thanks to @Dydymoon and @Kene_StableLab for their participation so far, and perhaps in a month or two we can on board even more participants :pray:

3 Likes

Hello, first of all I’m obviously biased as this potential proposal has pushed me to get involved in governance and I will vote yes
I would also like to propose that @alex_eth and myself be added to the delegation portal.

4 Likes

Thanks for this proposal. I think this program is very useful as it allows to incentivize people that want to contribute and believe in Paladin long term. Of course I am biased as I have applied recently to be a delegate. I will vote yes to this proposal !

2 Likes

Thanks for this proposal. This incentive program is to me a great way to get more people really involved in the proposal. I am also biased as I will propose to be a delegate soon !

4 Likes

Hey everyone, I feel like while of course, it is possible to optimize even more the formula (maybe one of the new delegates wants to show off their math skills? :eyes:), if the goal is to end up spending x2 the amount of PAL from last period, as simple as it might sound doubling the amount is definitely good enough!

1 Like

Gm ! Ok Thanks ser ! I’ll push the vote later today

The proposal was published on snapshot.

Quorum PGM-40: 663 868 votes

I think it’s good to highlight that PAL is ~20% higher than it was at the writing of this proposal, and will vary a good amount more over the next 3 months. Generally not against paying delegates more if it brings more creative juices around the table, just thought we should avoid these kind of logical fallacies.

This discussion is live on the forum since 16 days, so surprising that you didn’t brought this up before.

Lmk if you want propose an alternative.

I didn’t say i was against it

• Recognised Delegates have to self-report on a monthly basis in this thread in order to get their incentives

Gm, this is my self report for october 2023. My ENS is tradercameraman.eth
Voting Power: 62.65k
Delegators: 4 addresses (including mine)

Delegate dydymoon.sismo.eth self-reporting for October 2023.
Voting Power: 282 910 votes
Delegators: 11 addresses (including mine)

gm self report for October 2023 - 0xalex0.eth
Voting Power: 88.574k
Delegators: 3 addresses (including mine)

Gm, this is my self report for november 2023. My ENS is tradercameraman.eth

Delegate dydymoon.sismo.eth self-reporting for November 2023.
Voting Power: 282 910 votes
Delegators: 11 addresses (including mine)

gm self report for Nov 2023 - 0xalex0.eth
Voting Power: 88.574k
Delegators: 3 addresses (including mine)

Self-Reporting for November 2023

Voting Power: 132.5k

Delegators: 2 addresses

Gm, this is my self report for december 2023. My ENS is tradercameraman.eth

1 Like